Pages

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Few Thoughts on 2013

Another year, another recap. 2013 has come and gone and now it is time to look at it in the world on Pixar. It was another shaky year for Pixar. It started off well. The Monsters U. trailer came out in February and got people excited. However, two months later, something I myself didn't like occurred. Pixar confirmed Finding Dory's existence. I was not pleased. I felt it was a blatant cash grab at the time. I've since warmed up, but I'm not 100% behind it. Then, in June, Monsters University premiered. It got stellar reviews, not as stellar as the original Monsters, but not Cars 2-level. It's the third highest grossing Pixar film, so it definitely did well. However, it was not the highest-grossing animated film of the year. That honor somehow belongs to Despicable Me 2, which I don't see the appeal of. Anyway, The Blue Umbrella also came with Monsters U. and it was fantastic. I definitely think the Academy shafted it by not even including on its shortlist for Best Animated Short. Dumb. Lots of other great films came out this year. Frozen was released to great reviews and will probably win a ridiculous amount of awards, including maybe beating Monsters U. for the Oscar. In other films, Iron Man 3, Catching Fire, Man of Steel, Gravity (should win all the Oscars,) Thor 2, Don Jon, 12 Years A Slave, Anchorman 2. A lot of great stuff. I also discovered the wonders of British television, i.e. Sherlock and Doctor Who. I was missing so much. It's all brilliant.

Now onto 2014. 2014 will be the first year since 2005 without a Pixar film. Internal strife caused Bob Peterson to be removed from the director's chair and still hasn't been replaced. A few weeks later, Pixar moved The Good Dinosaur from June 2014 to November 2015, which will result in a lack of Pixar for 2014. That means Pixar's next film is Pete's Inside Out, which looks incredible. However, not all hope is lost. 2014 is a packed year for film. The Lego Movie, Peabody and Sherman, Muppets 2, Noah, Captain America 2, Rio 2, Transcendence, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past, 22 Jump Street, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Boxtrolls, Big Hero 6, Interstellar, Mockingjay Part 1, Home (another DWA film,) and The Hobbit 3. Not too shabby. So, this is me signing off for 2013. Unlike some other animation blogs, I won't be going away next year. However, there may be a lack of stuff to post about, but I'll try my best. Bless your face. If you sneezed during this blog post, bless you. Peace off.

No comments:

Post a Comment